The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Imported from the UK, released on 28 January 2002. Cataloged as BBC DVD1092.
Released in the US by Warner Home Video on 2 DVDs on 30 April 2002.
NOTE: A memorial tribute to Douglas Adams from the program Omnibus is on the US
edition of this set, and NOT on the UK edition! The US/Canada edition is Region 1 coded.
You can get the Region 1 edition at amazon.com.
Discs are region encoded for regions 2 (Europe, Japan, Middle East, South Africa)
and 4 (Australia, New Zealand, Central and South America) and are in PAL format.
Disc 1 Features:
Packaging is a slipcase, within which is a three panel case holding both discs.
Disc 2 Features:
- All 6 episodes are on this disc, with sound in original mono or remastered
- Each episode includes its own opening and closing titles, unlike the
"movie" format of the 3 hour VHS release from a number of years ago.
- English subtitles for those with hearing disabilities
- Production subtitles with behind the scenes information
- Episodes 2,4,6 have all had footage restored, some of which had been available in the aforementioned VHS edition.
- The full "Making of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" from 1993
- 20 more minutes, called "Don't Panic", cut from the documentary, with
more interviews and information from 1992.
- Behind the scenes clips
- Peter Jones's introduction to Episode 1, as viewed by an audience meant
to provide a laugh track on the show, later cut.
- Behind the scenes look at Fit the Ninth from the second radio series
(Arthur Dent and the Nutrimat, and the 'Share and Enjoy' song).
- Look at Zaphod's animatronic second head from the TV show "Tomorrow's World"
- Disc 2 - "Inner Planets" menu
- In the center, moving around with a mouse/remote will cause a blue and
green electronic 'Earth' to appear. Selecting this will go through the pilot
version of the title sequence, with the astronaut going through a 'time tunnel'
effect straight out of the Doctor Who titles. This was later changed, and
cast member names were added.